Switzerland 1920s Tourist Guides Collection Bound in Two Volumes
A collection of 1920s tourist guides, many having lovely cover art.
Each volume with the ownership names ‘N. & G. Brett-James’ in ink to the front endpaper, plus two guides having the name ‘N. G. Brett James’ written to the front cover. Scant evidence but likely this is the Norman G. Brett James who was the editor/compiler of ‘The Charm of Switzerland: An Anthology’ (Methuen, 1910).
Hardbacks – brown buckram with title in gilt to spines. Fifteen guides bound together in two volumes. 8.25 x 5.25 inches approx. (207mm x 135mm) and 7.5 x 5.75 inches approx. (192mm x 145mm).
- The Bernese Alps Railway – Berne-Lötschberg-Simplon (The Bernese Alps Railway Company, 1927). 48pp plus illustrations, adverts, fold-out map.
- Eight Days at Geneva (The Association of the Interests of Geneva, [No Date]). 40pp including illustrations, pp directory, fold-out map.
- Mürren – Berrnese – Oberland (Fretz Bros Ltd, [No Date]). 16pp including illustrations.
- Switzerland – A Short and Handy Guide for Tourists (Swiss Federal Railways, 1929). 100pp including illustrations, fold-out map.
- Switzerland – A Short and Handy Guide for Tourists (Swiss National Tourist Office, 1927). 96pp including illustrations, fold-out map.
- Geneva – Seat of the League of Nations (The Official Enquiry Office, [No Date]). 32pp including illustrations.
- What to do and What to See in Lausanne Ouchy (Official Information Office, [No Date]). 64pp including illustrations.
- Electric Railway Martigny-Chatelard – Chamonix ([No Date]). 16pp including illustrations.
- From the Rhone to the Rhine – A Guide to the Furka Railway (Furka Railway, 1914). 40pp including illustrations, fold-out map.
- Switzerland – A Little Guide Through the Most Beautiful Parts of Switzerland (Union of Swiss Inquiry Offices, 1910). 128pp including illustrations, *lacks map*.
- Winter in Andermatt (Art, Institute Brunner & Co. Ltd, 1929). pp, [2 fold-out 4-panel pages] including illustrations, *lacks rear cover*.
- Swiss Alpine Post – Automobile Service over the Alpine Passes (Fretz Bros. Ltd, [No Date]). 16pp including illustrations.
- Switzerland – The Very Heart of Europe (Swiss Federal Railways, 1924). 24pp including illustrations.
- The High Valleys of the Swiss Alps – Leukerbad (Society of Hotels and Baths of Leukerbad, [No Date]). 32pp including illustrations.
- Summer in Switzerland (Swiss Federal Railways, 1924). 80pp including illustrations.
Light wear and rubbing to cloth covers, some dustiness and fading. Guides showing some handing and storage wear; occasional foxing/spotting throughout; some dustiness and grubby mark but pages generally clean and in good order; notes in ink to last blank of each volume pertaining to contents/order of guides; *appears to lack a map in one guide, and a rear cover to another*.
Overall, an interesting collection in reasonably well preserved condition.